New WWII Operation Footlocker is Available!
Our newest traveling trunk focuses on bringing the museum to the classroom. This trunk contains more than 30 artifacts for students to examine, question and learn from. Ranging from original uniforms to Home Front items, there is something for every student to examine and learn from. The trunk comes with a teacher’s guide to make it easier to guide student’s interests, and sample questions the student can follow to learn more about the war, about Colorado’s role and about life in the 1940s. To learn more, download this brochure.
To learn more about the program, or to reserve the trunk for use in YOUR classroom, drop us a line at educator@
Download the curriculum and resources for the WWII Footlocker here.
Additional WWII resources for the classroom:
- American Veterans War Center (7 day) Curriculum: https://www.americanveteranscenter.org/wp-content/uploads//2015/02/WWII-Veterans-Committee-Lesson-Plan-PDF.pdf
- National WWII Museum Education Tools: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/educator-resources/classroom-resources
- Study.com – 13 lesson plans: https://study.com/academy/topic/world-war-ii-high-school-world-history-lesson-plans.html
- ELA Lesson Plans: https://www.sabes.org/content/ela-curriculum-example-wwii-and-holocaust-gle-4-8-and-9-12
- WW2 Activities: https://www.studentsofhistory.com/blog/ww2-activities
- Junior Scholastic Teaching Kits: https://junior.scholastic.com/pages/content-hubs/world-war-ii.html
- National Archives Education Tools: https://education.blogs.archives.gov/2021/03/01/world-war-ii-page/
Guided Museum Tours for Groups
Schedule time for your class to come to visit the museum any day of the week. Veterans will provide tours through the museum, which covers every major U.S.-involved war along with special exhibits on women in the war, Colorado’s 10th Mountain Division and more. Students will enjoy an interactive experience that includes trying on military gear and learning the stories of veterans with local ties.
Invite a veteran to present to your class on a variety of history and military topics, from the Civil War era to present day conflicts. We will work with you to provide an informative presentation tailored to your needs with the added perspective of a veteran who has endured the challenges of war.
Comprehensive Research Library
In our newly expanded downstairs, we house a research library with a large volume of military books and DVDs covering every era in our nation’s military history. Books and DVDs may be checked out by patrons. Our library also includes an extensive collection of veteran interviews to view and hear first-hand accounts of life as a soldier. Additionally, we have volunteers on hand to assist individuals with research projects.
Curriculum Resources for Middle School and High School Teachers
Click here for a one-page resource guide about Pearl Harbor and the US’ entry into World War II.
We’ll continue to add content to this page over the coming months with other topics to explore—from the Civil War in Colorado to the Vietnam War and beyond!